Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Christopher Palmer Christopher.Palmer at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 8 05:42:31 UTC 2011

The title of this ongoing thread is giving me heart palpitations.

Content access over IPv6 may help "justify" ISPs investing in IPv6, but it in no means is a prerequisite technically.

LSNs are "fine" when deployed in parallel with IPv6 IMHO. There has to be a pathway to "good" networking.

To Lorenzo's point - I really think the next big hurdle in the transition is getting access numbers to something respectable. World IPv6 Day has only be going for a few hours, but things seem to be going fine, and it's our hope (currently) to keep www.xbox.com available over IPv6 indefinitely. I expect other participants will keep IPv6 enabled for some or all of their respective portfolios.

This leads me to worry that in 6-18 months we'll be in a position where a lot of major content has permanently transitioned, and we're still at <1% access range. That will be awkward.

I'm not an ISP - but I absolutely expect that IPv6 roll-outs have long time-horizons and are fairly complex. So I hope folks are looking at IPv6 NOW, and not simply waiting for Google/Bing/Yahoo/Interwebz to enable permanent content access and organizational justification.

Christopher.Palmer at microsoft.com
IPv6 @ Microsoft