Hotmail?

Ryan Pugatch rpug at linux.com
Wed Jun 8 03:40:05 UTC 2011

> What about starting with Zimbra's Open Source edition, and building onto
> it?

Let me just step in here and say.. it's tough to build onto Zimbra.  At
work, we support ~1000 users on Zimbra (network edition), with hundreds of
thousands of messages flowing through daily, and it doesn't like you
tinkering with stuff under the hood.  Most of your customizations get
blown away when you upgrade.  That said, I know of some organizations who
customize it like crazy (I had heard that Lycos's free mail system is
Zimbra-based, and Yahoo as well).  Once you deviate, though, don't expect
to stick to Zimbra's releases.  It might be easier to just start fresh
with postfix, amavis, spamassassin, dovecot, etc.  We've also run into
some pain in scaling it out (they want you to use Red Hat Clustering, but
there's no great way to scale out the mail store regardless).

Ryan