IPv6 day fun is beginning!

Pete Carah pete at altadena.net
Wed Jun 8 00:16:44 UTC 2011

> On 8 jun 2011, at 2:02, Pete Carah wrote:
>
>> www.facebook.com (but not facebook.com) just turned on here too (after
>> google).  another hex-speak spelling...
> I'm using my iPhone as the IPv6-only canary. www.facebook.com now seems to work, but it redirects to m.facebook.com which doesn't have IPv6. This seems to be a trend, yahoo and cnn do the same thing. Annoying.
My iphone picks up a v6 address from our wireless network but not from
AT&T as far as I can tell.

google actually enabled a v6 address for at least part of their picture
cdn along with the top page.  I might try the iphone since it gets
redirected to m.* a lot, though I'd presume (Cameron notwithstanding...)
that very few of the participants are enabling their mobile
infrastructure for v6 yet.

OTOH, see:

%host m.google.com
m.google.com is an alias for mobile.l.google.com.
mobile.l.google.com has address 72.14.204.193
mobile.l.google.com has IPv6 address 2001:4860:800f::c1

So far, looks like Google has done a good job.
I don't know if they are doing any of their geolocation-based dns on the
v6 stuff; my v6 address is from HE at ashburn...

-- Pete