Why don't ISPs peer with everyone?

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Jun 7 23:16:17 UTC 2011

On 6/7/2011 11:38 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> Additionally, we share at least one common transit provider, so we'd
> be trading <1ms for 1-2ms.  Obviously, if we were talking about a
> leased line with any MRC, the answer would be hell no.  Since we're
> able to utilize fiber inside the building with no MRC, the answer is
> more of a "why bother?"  It's not going to save either of us any
> meaningful amount of transit bandwidth $/capacity.

That's what it really boils down to. How much money can be saved versus
performance. If I'm doing a lot of throughput to a specific network, it
makes sense that I might want to connect to them, especially if that
connection either 1) saves me money or 2) gives me superior QOS/load
balancing without a cost increase.

Anything less than 200mbit of traffic isn't even worth me considering
these days, and as I grow, I'm sure that number will increase. Content
providers generally won't peer unless you meet certain traffic
requirements for the same reason.

Jack