Why don't ISPs peer with everyone?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Jun 7 16:38:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Matthew Palmer wrote:

>> netflow data, I'm guessing we average about 100kbit/s or less traffic in
>> each direction between us.  At that low a level, is it even worth the time
>> and trouble to coordinate setting up a peering connection, much less
>> tying up a gigE port at each end?
>> -----
>>
>> 100kbit/s at <1ms is better than 100kbit/s at > 1ms.
>
> True, but the point being made is: how *much* better?  Is it enough better
> to justify the cost of installing and maintaining another peering link?

Additionally, we share at least one common transit provider, so we'd be
trading <1ms for 1-2ms.  Obviously, if we were talking about a leased
line with any MRC, the answer would be hell no.  Since we're able to
utilize fiber inside the building with no MRC, the answer is more of a
"why bother?"  It's not going to save either of us any meaningful amount
of transit bandwidth $/capacity.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |