Why don't ISPs peer with everyone?

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Tue Jun 7 14:15:48 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Lewis [mailto:jlewis at lewis.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:00 AM

-snip-

I manage a network that's primarily a hosting network.  There's a similar
hosting network at the other end of the building.  We both have multiple
gigs of transit.  We don't peer with each other.  Perhaps we should,
because the cost of the connection would be negligible (I think we already
have multiple fiber pairs between our suites), but looking at my sampled
netflow data, I'm guessing we average about 100kbit/s or less traffic in
each direction between us.  At that low a level, is it even worth the time
and trouble to coordinate setting up a peering connection, much less
tying up a gigE port at each end?
-----

100kbit/s at <1ms is better than 100kbit/s at > 1ms.

We are hosting as well and some of our top 25 ASNs are other hosting networks, YMMV.

-Drew