Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 6 17:12:17 UTC 2011

On Jun 6, 2011, at 5:55 AM, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> said:
>> You're not that atypical either, at least compared to US users. The
>> following very common applications are known to have problems
>> with LSN:
>> 	The HTTPs Server on TiVO boxes
>
> I'm curious: how does this have any problem with any particular NAT
> implementation?  The TiVo HTTPS server is only intended to be accessed
> from the local LAN, so what happens outside your house (e.g. LSN)
> shouldn't matter.

I disagree. It is allowed to be accessed anywhere from within your household.
A household is defined as the members who live there regardless of where
in the world they are at any particular time. Since I spend a great deal of time
traveling, I routinely download shows from my TiVO over the internet using
the https server on the TiVO box. Fortunately, my TiVO boxes have public
IPv4 addresses and this is not an issue.

I have confirmed with legal counsel and with TiVO that my interpretation of
the term household is valid within the meaning of their license agreement.

Owen