Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Mon Jun 6 14:30:20 UTC 2011

> In that case can anyone explain why the number of IPv4 *only* systems is
> increasing rather than decreasing:
> http://server8.test-ipv6.com/stats.html

Increased traffic from less-geeky people = more sane numbers overall.  The
problem with the graphs on that site is that the audience is self
selecting; so only when some major site says "go here!" do we get a more
random(ish) audience, versus people setting up tunnelbrokers and the like.

> I would have expected the green+azure areas in those graphs to have increased
> in the past half year but counter-intutitively, it appears that IPv4 only
> usage is increasing.

You're assuming there's significant rollout of IPv6.  Everything I've seen
so far says that *starts* nowish, and more laterish this year, in any
impacting way.  Really, we're just just before the start of getting end
user adoption to start rising.