(OT) UN declares Internet access a "human right"

Andrew D Kirch trelane at trelane.net
Mon Jun 6 05:16:03 UTC 2011

On 6/5/2011 10:11 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 20:48:56 EDT, Bryan Fields said:
>>> - PLONK
>>> What a moron
>> Nice to see you took the time to form a well thought out and concise argument
> OK, if you need it spelled out for you - you asked for it. :)
>
> "The basis of our government being the opinion of the people, the very first
> object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether
> we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a
> government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."
> 			--- Thomas Jefferson
You had the temerity to quote Jefferson while arguing for gun control?
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives
[only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and
independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that
nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind.
Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks." --
Jefferson
"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages
for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from
men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no
remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying
of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are
neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." -- Cesare Beccaria,
as quoted by Thomas Jefferson's Commonplace book
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest
reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a
last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"--
Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only
prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of
freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to
consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."-- John F. Kennedy

Ooh right the last one was Kennedy, my bad.
> Concise enough for you?  You may also want to investigate the relative
> importance of communications and armaments in Ghandi's struggle for a free
> India, the US civil rights movement, and the collapse of the Soviet Union.
I did, and guess what I found!
Malcolm X on firearms:
“Last but not least, I must say this concerning the great controversy
over rifles and shotguns. The only thing I’ve ever said is that in areas
where the government has proven itself either unwilling or unable to
defend the lives and the property of N, it’s time for N to defend
themselves. Article number two of the Constitutional amendments provides
you and me the right to own a rifle or a shotgun. It is constitutionally
legal to own a shotgun or a rifle. This doesn’t mean you’re going to get
a rifle and form battalions and go out looking for white folks, although
you’d be within your rights – I mean, you’d be justified; but that would
be illegal and we don’t do anything illegal. If the white man doesn’t
want the black man buying rifles and shotguns, then let the government
do its job. That’s all.”
There's no quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King, but he both possessed
firearms, and a permit to carry them. (this being a matter of public record)
Gandi was pro gun:
'Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look
upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.'
--Mahatma Gandi

So of your three "communication over armament" examples, two were run by
people armed, and pro gun, one deprived of his arms by a tyrannical
British government.
> That's 3 examples of change mediated by communications without rifles.  Then
> there's Darfur - an example of rifles without communications infrastructure.
French Revolution
American Revolution
Russian Revolution

There's three that overthrew tyrants with force of arms.

> Oh, and as Bryan said... 'PLONK'.
Immaturity astounds.

Andrew