(OT) UN declares Internet access a "human right"

Andrew D Kirch trelane at trelane.net
Mon Jun 6 04:59:55 UTC 2011

On 6/5/2011 8:11 PM, Bryan Fields wrote:
> On 6/5/2011 19:39, Gadi Evron wrote:
>> The title is misleading, as this is more about "denying" access. But
>> this is still quite interesting. I don't think this has *any*
>> operational implications, but every operator to see this was immediately
>> worried. I figure it warrants a discussion.
> This is the same organization that says there is no basic human right to keep
> and bear arms. They have no standing to lecture us about human rights, as
> their body largely consists of mass murderers and thieves.
>
> Not that I don't agree it's criminal for a tyrant to disconnect their country
> from the Internet, but they are tyrants after all.
The problem is that even stating that denying access to the internet
violates human rights allows the UN to begin to get it's claws into
regulating the internet.  These guys want it to be a right?  I'm
forwarding the UNSG my home DSL bill.  Let him pay it.  Obviously you're
correct regarding firearms, without recognizing the basic right to
protect human life against criminals and despots, there are no other
rights (as a criminal and despot will take those rights with impunity).
Andrew