Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jun 6 02:58:53 UTC 2011

In message <BANLkTik+qgTPXOwaSsHseYQbP0MBJw25Tb2bO6b3kyrKvhGj=Q at mail.gmail.com>, =
?UTF-8?B?SsOpcsO0bWUgTmljb2xsZQ==?= writes:
> 2011/6/6 Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org>:
>
> > Well here in Australia I would be calling the ACCC is a ISP tried
> > to charge extra for a address that is not behind a LSN.
>
> On France, our bigger ISP charges extra for a fixed IP. Its network
> beeing rather old-fashioned, every DSL (and residential fiber) line is
> terminated on a LNS through a PPP session. Assigning a fixed IP is
> technically done by adding a RADIUS parameter to force the termination
> LNS to those having a static pool. The same method could be applied to
> get a user out of the LSN, but as their LSN isn't yet in place, we
> have no clue of what they'll do. We just know their CEO just announced
> ongoing discussions with CDNs (including google) about service
> differenciation and charging users for priority bandwidth.

Which just reinforces the point that it is not technically hard.
Remember when you introduce LSN you are degrading the service not
adding to it.  I can seen consumer bodies saying thay you need to
compensate your customers unless there is a free path to get into
the exception pool.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org