Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Jérôme Nicolle jerome at ceriz.fr
Mon Jun 6 02:04:06 UTC 2011

2011/6/6 Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org>:

> Well here in Australia I would be calling the ACCC is a ISP tried
> to charge extra for a address that is not behind a LSN.

On France, our bigger ISP charges extra for a fixed IP. Its network
beeing rather old-fashioned, every DSL (and residential fiber) line is
terminated on a LNS through a PPP session. Assigning a fixed IP is
technically done by adding a RADIUS parameter to force the termination
LNS to those having a static pool. The same method could be applied to
get a user out of the LSN, but as their LSN isn't yet in place, we
have no clue of what they'll do. We just know their CEO just announced
ongoing discussions with CDNs (including google) about service
differenciation and charging users for priority bandwidth.

> If you can
> adjust port 25 filters whenever a customer gets a new address you
> can also ensure that they get address from the correct pool when
> they connect to the network.  This really isn't rocket science.

Well, you can't open port25 on Orange's ADSL service ;)

--
Jérôme Nicolle