Protocol-41 is not the only tunneling protocol (Re: Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Jun 3 13:38:40 UTC 2011

On 2011-Jun-03 14:48, Alexander Maassen wrote:
> You are missing a big point here, most NL users for example cannot use
> ipv6 tunnels because the isp's equipment doesn't allow them.

Which is why Freenet6/Gogo6 has TSP and SixXS has AYIYA because
tunneling over UDP works fine, just like every other VPN product in the
market does (though most VPN products don't do IPv6 yet, it is coming).

Take a guess why these protocols exist ;)

> When I
> called my ISP (online.nl) for example to ask about it, they first had
> something like: what the heck are you talking about.

That layer 1 personnel does not know about IPv6 just shows that the
company did not invest in IPv6 training yet. Their problem that they
need to resolve sooner or later and actually the bigger problem than
upgrading software or even hardware as those things just cycle out in a
few years time.

> On several other providers I had I am simply unable
> to setup a tunnel. The provider itself is the one blocking proto 41. Not
> me or my router, and surely not he.net.

Let me guess, you are behind a NAT and expect protocol-41 to be
forwarded exactly where? Anyway, as stated above, just use TSP or AYIYA.

Having lived in The Netherlands for a long time and various other
places, I have never had a problem, even in hotels with broken setups,
to get IPv6 going. Heck it even works in most airports ;)

> Another issue is, as long as not many homeusers are aware of ipv6 (for
> them it's just technical mumbo jumbo they don't care about, as long as
> they get the webpages shown they wanna access it's fine for them).
> So having said previous, maybe there should be a World IPv6 only week.
> That would piss off users, make them complain at their isp, and maybe
> THEN they finally wanna do some implementations.

"IPv6 only" was the original plan of World IPv6 Day, but take a guess
how many phone calls would go to ISPs then and how much money folks
would lose when that would be done.

Greets,
 Jeroen