Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Jun 3 12:42:01 UTC 2011

On Jun 3, 2011, at 8:27 AM, fredrik danerklint wrote:

> The problem is not all on Microsoft at this case.
>

> For example; I've bought a ZyXEL P-2612HNU-F1(which has
> 802.11n Wireless ADSL 2+ 4-port gateway 2 SIP 2 USB 3G Backup)
> in december 2010. It basiclly has everything in it.

You made the mistake of buying something that wasn't compliant with the following draft:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-george-ipv6-required-02

> How do I as a customer do to have a working IPv6 setup on this modem since
> ZyXEL, basicilly, has decide that it will not support IPv6 at all?
>
> I mean, you can not say it does not have the the cpu power for handling IPv6
> when it can also act as a fileserver and a printserver for example.
>
> What they (ZyXEL) are saying to me (for not haveing IPv6 at this moment) is
> that they don't have the skills to implement IPv6 in their current products.
>
> Think about all the CPE that will not be upgraded, since those that makes them
> don't care at all, even tough it probably has the cpu power to handle IPv6.

Replacing CPE will come naturally with entropy over time combined with the early-adopters.

I know many people who would walk into the store today and buy a docsis 3 cable modem if cox/charter/twcable etc had ipv6 available.

> And I haven't even started at the network equiment that exists between me as a
> ISP and my customer (this equiment is out of my control), that can't handle
> IPv6 even if my customer got an working CPE with IPv6.

This is a whole other issue but getting better.  I do want to see what Qwest (Centurylink?) plans on the consumer side as well as any form of an upgrade to the 2WIRE devices that AT&T is using.  Looking at the other providers out there, it's interesting to watch the table growing daily.  Somewhere around 10-20 new ASNs appear in the IPv6 table right now.  (Weekends tend to show few if any adds).

2WIRE rant: These have a whole host of issues that seem to constantly cause problems.  (I do like that if you send a SIP notify to devices behind them they sometimes reboot themselves and solve the problem due to their broken SIP-ALG that can't be disabled).

> How fun is that?

The usual fun.  We have had discussions with vendors about IPv6 support and capabilities and they are really interesting.  Just ask about v6 lawful-intercept for compliance next time.  Interesting days ahead, but all Is the bright future.  The network is real now, even if you don't like the smell or color of IPv6.

- Jared