Berkely Netalyzr for IPv6/IPv4 testing (Was: Yahoo and IPv6)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed Jun 1 17:14:43 UTC 2011

On 2011-Jun-01 18:36, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 07:54:28 EDT, Atticus said:
>> Disable the firewall and try again or all results are worthless.

That is quite what I noted, the thing is that apparently the delay for
clicking 'ok' is taken into account for the measurements ;)

> On the other hand, if you have a firewall you need to disable in order
> for it to get valid IPv6 results, you don't actually have a working IPv6
> configuration, do you?

The standard Windows Firewall on XP asks the user if it is okay if a
program, in this case java, is allowed to open a listen socket.

This is common for quite a few firewall tools out there, and the moment
you have hit okay, all is fine.

On Win7 one can even enable the same question for outbound requests, one
of the few things that is actually missing in XP IMHO.

But all of that is not really operational....

Greets,
 Jeroen