[BULK] Re: SORBS contact

Nathan Eisenberg nathan at atlasnetworks.us
Sun Jul 31 04:16:23 UTC 2011

> A valid and well put argument.  I don't know what we do with stuff to
> webmaster@ however I do know that it is possible that messages to it
> will go into the spamtrap system. (the spamtrap system has multiple
> entry points, and a mail going in does not guarentee a listing, but it
> is likely, especially if the message is repeated to multiple addresses
> and therefore is 'bulk'.)

Respectfully, I'm unconvinced that fewer than 10 recipients (sending to webmaster and cc'ing netops) constitutes sending in 'bulk'.  For instance, USPS requires 200 recipients for standard mail to classify such mail as 'bulk'[1].  That number seems quite high to me, but then again, 2-10 seems quite low.

In the past, I've had a heck of a time getting blocks delisted from SORBs - even getting a PI assignment removed from the DUHL, which isn't even a list of abusive blocks, was tough.  Again respectfully, if so many operations people have a problem with the way SORBS operates, doesn't that represent a valid concern?  Operators constitute the bulk of your users, and they are, by and large, frustrated.  The fact that they are trying to reach out via other methods should tell you something - and it isn't that the operators are doing it wrong (and should therefore be punished).

Writing as a human, not as my employer,
Nathan Eisenberg

[1] - http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/getstarted/bulkmail.htm