[BULK] Re: SORBS contact

Michelle Sullivan matthew at sorbs.net
Sat Jul 30 12:57:12 UTC 2011

Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 01:45:52AM -0400, Dan Collins wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Michelle Sullivan <matthew at sorbs.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Emailing random non-existent email addresses (such as
>>> webmaster at sorbs.net) will earn you a listing...
>>>
>> webmaster@* isn't "random", it's a fairly standard way to reach the
>> administrator of a service.
>>

> Per RFC 2142 section 5, it's the standard way to reach the administrator
> of the HTTP service, just as "hostmaster" is the standard way to reach
> the administrator of the DNS service.   So you're both wrong: SORBS,
> since it has a web site, should support the "webmaster" address; and
> you shouldn't send traffic there unless your enquiry is about the
> web site (e.g., difficulty accessing it, broken links, malformed pages).
>
> ---rsk

Ok I'll accept that reference..I must admit I didn't know that RFC/STD
existed so I learnt something today. ;-)

I would like to point out though that in section 1 it states 'are
encouraged to support' not must or even should, a quick skim read later
and I see there are mention of those that are required to be supported
later in the document,  Webmaster@ is not in the required list.  As per
my previous email, the webservers (all of them) report another email
address which is more appropriate for our organisation, and will feed
all mail to a real person or into a ticket system in a queue for bugs
and errors with the SORBS service as appropriate (this does not include
any reports about content of the DNSbl, there are other addresses
published for that.)

Thanks,

Michelle

--
Vulnerabilities are weaknesses associated with an organisations assets that maybe exploited by a threat causing unwanted incidents.
http://www.mhix.org/