[BULK] Re: SORBS contact

Michelle Sullivan matthew at sorbs.net
Sat Jul 30 12:38:41 UTC 2011

Dan Collins wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Michelle Sullivan <matthew at sorbs.net> wrote:
>
>> Emailing random non-existent email addresses (such as
>> webmaster at sorbs.net) will earn you a listing...
>>

> webmaster@* isn't "random", it's a fairly standard way to reach the
> administrator of a service. A failure to support that on your part
> does not constitute abuse on my part.
>
> --Dan

Feel free to point out the RFC/STD/BCP that states that (yes, there is
one for abuse@ and postmaster at .. last time I checked there wasn't any
mention of webmaster@ - both abuse@ and postmaster@ are valid addresses
that go to real people, neither will respond to any type of delisting
requests.)

FWIW, you get an error on the SORBS website you get the email address to
reach the administrators, it is not webmaster@, it's a lot more um...
appropriate.

SORBS gets messages to a lot of um "Standard" email addresses (eg
sales@, marketing@, legal@, www@, root@, etc)  which don't exist (and
several that do exist or used to, eg noc@, support@, help@).. which I do
smile at as it seems people who should have more sense, just don't.
Every email address published for SORBS goes to a real person either
directly or via RT (ticket type tracking system) and there are quite a
few published email addresses... using something that is not published
is not likely to get to a person and is most likely abuse.

webmaster@ has never been a valid email address at SORBS and previously
when people have commented on not getting a response I have indicated
that it is not and has never been a valid address (and IIRC I have
mentioned that on NANOG before).... Yet people still use it...

Addresses that used to exist and are not to be used any more, either
re-direct to the appropriate contact or reject at the MX with an
appropriate reason message.  Everything else is fair game for the spam
collectors.

Regards,

Michelle

--
Vulnerabilities are weaknesses associated with an organisations assets that maybe exploited by a threat causing unwanted incidents.
http://www.mhix.org/