OOB

PC paul4004 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 20:42:29 UTC 2011

If you can make a phone call, it generally works acceptable enough for a
basic SSH session.  Lock the session at 1xrtt (if using CDMA) if you still
have problems (slow) and it will use what amounts to a voice channel.  In
the USA, Verizon 4g LTE also offers some better in-building penetration
simply due to the spectrum used (700mhz).

On the 3g deployment I did, I built an ipsec vpn to the provider and have a
private IP assigned directly to the cellular device instead of individual
VPNs per-console server.

As for Equinox in particular, you might be able to use the house wifi
instead for your VPN...

Many vendors have 3g/wifi console servers (or both) that auto-vpn home.  I
can't see a good reason to use analog lines anymore unless 3g isn't
serviceable at the location.  If you can't afford a 3g device, you can roll
your own with any cheap router running DD-WRT or OpenWRT + usb ports +
usr/serial dongles.  Use "ser2net" to handle the interface between TCP and a
serial port (but one could connect and use screen/whatever if they wanted).

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com