Comcast Bussiness Class and GRE Tunnels

Walter Keen walter.keen at rainierconnect.net
Wed Jul 27 18:41:10 UTC 2011

We're evaluating a good spread of Mikrotik products as well, both for
wireless AP's and general routers.

Almost worked out all the features(some features have names that
conflict with other vendors, or operate unlike you expect them to), but
for the price, even of their higher end ones (RB1100, online for $399)
it has 13 Ge ports, and appears to be able to route traffic at faster
speeds than I can get a competitor (cisco/juniper) box for.  We used the
built-in speed test (iperf) and got 970mbit (and about 70% cpu usage)
between 2 RB1100's (connected by a single routed gigabit connection) and
about 1.4gbit to a local address on the box, which isn't probably a fair
throughput test, but is a good test of where the cpu maxes out, since
there doesn't appear to be any asic level forwarding unless you are
switching layer 2 traffic.

For the price, I'm impressed, also the operating temperature range being
so wide lets us put them in places we couldn't (supportably) put a cisco
or juniper low-end (or high end) box, since we have some remotes where
we need to go down to -10C or so.

Walter Keen
Network Engineer
Rainier Connect