OOB

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Wed Jul 27 06:56:00 UTC 2011

Subject: Re: OOB Date: Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:33:54PM -0400 Quoting Christopher Morrow (morrowc.lists at gmail.com):

> how well does that work inside a big metal box like equinix?

Sometimes not so well. OTOH, this is for routers that are installed
in central machine rooms for a radio broadcaster. Faraday issues are
indeed present, but we've managed with a top-of-rack antenna, so far.
(The FM transmitters are off-site and outsourced, anyway)

> You are, of course, just making a singular point: "Find something to
> make yourself an OOB network, hey this thing does vpn over 3g, neato!"
> I agree, it's neat.. it may not fit all square holes, sometimes you
> need a round or triangle shaped plug.

The facilities that are somewhat prepared to survive EMP aren't so
forgiving. Modems still have their place, as has the dedicated glass
strand. In some EMP shielded sites I've had predictable trouble getting
copper lines in, even after pointing out the availability of milspec
filtering devices.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668