OOB

Eric Clark cabenth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 14:14:18 UTC 2011

As far as best practices, I'm not sure.

I've generally built an out of band network for the express purpose of saving my behind in the event of an unanticipated traffic problem on the primary network. Secondarily it allows secured access to equipment, and you can monitor (which is often not secure, read snmp) on it as well. However, I've never tried to extend one beyond a facility or campus exactly.

Lots depends on the type of network you're talking about and equipment you're using though.

Sent from my iPad which loves to "correct" my typing with interesting results.