high performance open source DHCP solution?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jul 21 00:19:40 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jimmy Hess" <mysidia at gmail.com>

> Of course, committing to a RAMDISK tricks the DHCP server software.
> The danger is that if your DHCP server suffers an untimely reboot, you
> will have no transactionally safe record of the leases issued, when
> the replacement comes up, or the DHCP server completes its reboot cycle.
>
> As a result, you can generate conflicting IP address assignments,
> unless you:
> (a) Have an extremely short max lease duration (which can increase
> DHCP server load), or
> (b) Have a policy of pinging before assigning an IP, which limits DHCP
> server performance and is not fool proof.

I think a lot of this depends on the target audience of your server.

It sounds like he's in a commercial WAN environment, which of course is what
those rules were written for.  But I can't tell you how many service calls I
have to take because of address conflicts on home LANs behind consumer
routers... which don't generally cache the assignments at all, IME.

Cheers,
-- jra