problems with dnswl.org

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Jul 20 10:45:17 UTC 2011

>> opening tcp connection to rsync2.dnswl.org port 873
>> rsync: failed to connect to rsync2.dnswl.org (85.25.63.16): Operation
>> timed out (60)
>> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
>> [Receiver=3.0.8]
>>
>> any other paying users seeing this or know anything?  no response to
>> email to admins, though it has been only six hours or so.
>
> I'm not sure whether you got my reply to your email to admins?

no!  and i just checked my spambox too.  this worries me even more than
rsync failure.  do you have a smtp log entry for the delivery so i can
look for a matching entry in my logs?

> The provider for this machine is working on a fix. Unfortunately, they
> are not able to prove an estimate on when this will be done (yes, we
> are working to remediate this situation).

no problem.  would be nice to put on 'news' at http://dnswl.org/news/
and then i would not have wasted folk's time.

> As a temporary workaround, you can use an alternative hostname which will
> point to a another mirror (ns6.dnswl.org).

% host ns6.dnswl.org
Host ns6.dnswl.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

randy