OT: Given what you know now, if you were 21 again...

Joel Maslak jmaslak at antelope.net
Fri Jul 15 04:34:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Larry Stites <ncnet at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Given what you know now, if you were 21 and just starting into networking /
> communications industry which areas of study or specialty would you
> prioritize?

Make sure you are always learning.  You can't stop learning in this
industry.

Study the academic side of computers, not just how to use specific systems.
Know that systems other than the all-or-nothing superuser-based security
model exist, what a functional programming language is, basic computational
complexity, etc.  Unix or Cisco aren't always the best choices, but if you
don't know about the others you won't know that (FWIW, Cisco and Unix are
often excellent choices).

Learn to program reasonably well in at least a script language.

Learn TCP/IP.  It's going to be around for a while.  Focus on IPv4, but
expose yourself to IPv6.  This is probably the only specific
protocol/technology I'll mention.

Don't limit yourself to layer 3.  Learn about things like how to terminate
fiber optic cables and how application acceleration works.

Make sure you can write and speak well.

Learn when to shut up.  (I probably still haven't learned that one)

Learn how to get along with people, even ones that aren't as brilliant as
yourself.

Learn how to appropriately show accomplishment.  You don't want to be
arrogant, but you also don't want to be laid off because nobody knew that
you did great things.

Learn that people almost always have a reason for doing things the wrong
way, and it's best to find out what it is before you fix it!

This is probably controversial...Don't specialize religiously.  What I mean
about this is "don't become a Cisco guy."  Sure, you might become a Cisco
expert, and that's fine.  But don't lock yourself to a vendor or system
type.  Don't turn down a dream job that uses a different kind of router,
server, workstation, etc, just because you like Cisco (or whoever) better.
You won't want to use today's technology in a few years anyhow, so why make
long-term decisions based on hardware/software used today?  In the computer
field, even giants have fallen.

Learn that there is always someone smarter than you out there.  Learn from
them.

You have to start somewhere.  If you don't have good experience, you aren't
going to start at a (insert nice salary here) senior position, no matter how
much you know or what degree you have.  You might have to start on the night
shift of a NOC, making barely enough to eat, doing basic tasks.  Even in a
position like that, you can show you can learn - don't waste time while
working in these jobs, spend your free time learning, not playing computer
games or watching TV.  You'll get noticed.

Don't do illegal stuff.  It'll limit your options.  Pay your bills, don't do
drugs, don't get picked up for drunk driving, don't beat your significant
other.  These are the things that disqualify people with even basic
background checks - and many, many senior network jobs require a background
check.

Take opportunities.  Consider jobs where you'll have to learn a bit to be
effective - you might be the best person that applied.  But don't expect to
get jobs you aren't qualified for, and be honest about your abilities (but
confident).  Right now is a difficult time to get a job, even if you have
terrific qualifications.