Enterprise Internet - Question

Phil Sykes phil at atdot.at
Thu Jul 14 19:57:24 UTC 2011

Hi Jeff,

You might have some luck following the instructions on
http://nanog.cluepon.net/index.php/GeoIP to register one particular /32
within your Canadian-announced netblock as being in the USA, and selectively
NATing as you suggest, but I believe some stricter GeoIP databases check
next hops and expected latency and might catch you out.

We're lucky enough to have proxies in most geographies where we operate, so
if a user has GeoIP issues we talk them through changing their proxy
settings (you could also use a personal PAC file).

(My employer's) principles in favour of a local internet breakout:

- Is breaking out to the internet locally significantly cheaper than
backhauling over private WAN (some MPLS providers will offer a local
internet breakout as a VRF; this avoids the need for two access circuits)
- Do you need to congest the internet traffic more than/independently to the
private WAN traffic?
- Would a tunnel over the internet be a useful backup to private circuits?
- Are there latency-related performance reasons (lots of local content) to
break out locally?
- Are there regulatory reasons? (e.g. Middle East / Chinese state-level
filtering)

Against local breakout:

- Do you need to limit the number of locations with an internet breakout
because you have a heavyweight security stack protecting an internet
connection (filtering proxy, IDS/IPS, multi-layer HA firewalls)?
- Is local internet of poor quality?

Regards,

Phil Sykes
Network Architect