in defense of lisp (was: Anybody can participate in the IETF)

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu Jul 14 03:28:47 UTC 2011

On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:02 PM, Ronald Bonica wrote:

> - enumerate the operational problems solved by LISP

Separation of locator/ID is a fundamental architectural principle which transcends transport-specific (i.e., IPv4/IPv6) considerations.  It allows for node/application/services agility, and in the case of the IPv4/IPv6 Internet, besides providing a way to solve mobility and to do on-demand dynamic provisioning/on-the-fly-reprovisioning of communications relationships, finally starts us down the long-overdue evolution towards an eventual fully out-of-band control plane.

Controlling routing-table excursion in the IPv4/IPv6 Internet was/is the tactical problem that LISP was/is intended to address (pardon the pun), but the above long-term strategic benefits are its real value, IMHO.

> - enumerate the subset of those problems also solved by RFC 6296

In light of the above, I view LISP and RFC6296 as orthogonal to one another.

I also view RFC6296 as a perpetuation of the clear violation of the end-to-end principle (i.e., ' . . . functions placed at low levels of a system may be redundant or of little value when compared with the cost of providing them at that low level . . .') embodied in the abomination of NAT/PAT into IPv6, and the consequent instantiation of yet more unnecessary and harmful state into networks which are already deep in the throes of autogenic thromboembolism.

		The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

			  -- Oscar Wilde