in defense of lisp (was: Anybody can participate in the IETF)

Ronald Bonica rbonica at juniper.net
Wed Jul 13 16:02:13 UTC 2011

Scott,

I am not so sure that Randy's suggestion can be dismissed out of hand.

When we started down the path of locator/identifier separation, we did so because the separation of locators and identifiers might solve some real operational problems. We were not so interested in architectural purity.

At this point, it might be interesting to do the following:

- enumerate the operational problems solved by LISP
- enumerate the subset of those problems also solved by RFC 6296
- execute a cost/benefit analysis on both solutions

                                      Ron