NANOG List Update - Moving Forward

Richard Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Wed Jul 13 13:37:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 04:13:10PM +0200, Mattias Ahnberg wrote:
> I might have missed some discussion; but why are we moving
> away from mailman, and what software is in the new system?

Seconded.  Mailman is presently the gold standard for mailing list
management [1], and while a lift-and-drop of a Mailman instance from one
host to another isn't entirely transparent/trivial, it's a fairly
well-understood process, and there is certainly no shortage of assistance
available for anyone who runs into problems with the task.

If there is a plan to downgrade from Mailman to any of the alternatives,
then those advocating it need to present compelling technical arguments
that make the case why this course of action is necessary.

---rsk

[1] This is not meant to suggest that I think Mailman is perfect; it's
clearly not, and its maintainers would be among the first to admit that.
But it's very good and consistently being improved.