Anybody can participate in the IETF (Was: Why is IPv6 broken?)

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Mon Jul 11 19:57:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
> The IETF does not want operators in many steps of the process.  If
> you try to bring up operational concerns in early protocol development
> for example you'll often get a "we'll look at that later" response,
> which in many cases is right.  Sometimes you just have to play with
> something before you worry about the operational details.  It also

I really don't understand why that is right / good.  People get
personally invested in their project / spec, and not only that, vendor
people get their company's time and money invested in
proof-of-concept.  The longer something goes on with what may be
serious design flaws, the harder it is to get them fixed, simply
because of momentum.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could change the way that next-header works
in IPv6 now?  Or get rid of SLAAC and erase the RFCs recommending /80
and /64 from history?

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts