Level 3's IRR Database

Martin Millnert millnert at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 05:59:59 UTC 2011

Carlos,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo
<carlosm3011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is the second mention I see of RPKI and Egypt in the same
> context. I sincerely fail to see the connection between both
> situations.

It is quite simple actually.

1. Governments (eventually) want to take pieces of the Internet
offline, and Egypt is only the latest abundantly clear proof of this
desire.
2. RPKI might make this easier to accomplish than before, effectively
leading to more censorship than without it.

My fear is that of the big red DELETE-FROM-THE-INTERNET-button:

If the system becomes widely deployed, it is an even shorter step to
make for various lawmakers in various countries to legislate how RPKI
is to be used.
There are obviously other ways for your local autocrat to cut the
Internet down, but this would undoubtedly add a potential fine-grained
mechanism on top of it that I fail to see how it will not be abused.
  Eg, it'd be possible to, with the right hand, require that all ISPs
treats RPKI in a certain way (abstract away the censorship to all
ISPs, even those in other countries(!), own routers, once the
technology is in place), and with the left hand cherry pick what can
be on and what can be off, at a much, much lower cost than unplugging
everything (Egypt), or buying lots of cool hardware (China). (This is
a bad thing, btw.)

I'd happily see an explanation of RPKI that clears these fears from my
mind, and I'm fairly sure that I am not crazy for having them...
(Meanwhile I will read all of Randy's recommended reading.)
And yes there are a myriad of other ways to shut things down from the
Internet, but none of them are as integrated with the Internet as RPKI
would be, right? Plus, I don't really see adding another way to shut
things down as a positive thing, because of the apparent abuse-vector
it represents.

Regards,
Martin

(With tiny, tiny steps, nobody will understand how we ended up where
we end up, and by then it's hard to retract.)