[arin-announce] ARIN Resource Certification Update

Alex Band alexb at ripe.net
Sun Jan 30 10:39:36 UTC 2011

Paul,

I think my question is very pertinent. Of course the number of signed prefixes directly influences the number of validators. Do you think the RIPE NCC Validator tool would have been downloaded over 100 times in the last month if there were only 5 certified prefixes?

In my opinion, the widespread availability of signed prefixes and mature validation methods is key to the global success of resource certification. I agree that small differences in the size of the set of signed routes don't matter on a (relatively) short term, but the reality is that the difference would be *enormous* if we wouldn't offer a hosted solution.

Practically, in the real world, why would anyone invest time and effort in altering their current BGP decision making process to accommodate for resource certification if the technology is on nobody's radar, it's hard to get your feet wet and there are just a handful of certified prefixes out there. Wouldn't it be good if network operators think: "Because it helps increase global routing security, it's easy to get started and lots of people are already involved, perhaps I should have a look at (both sides of) resource certification too."

This is why I believe – and our adoption numbers prove – that the entry barrier to the system should be as low as possible, both on the signing side and the validation side. Once some of the people that are using the hosted platform now decide they would rather run their own non-hosted solution at a later stage, that would be even better. That immediately solves the private key situation. But there will always be a group happy to rely on the hosted model, and we cater to that.

Because of the path we chose there is already a lot of operational experience being gained, resulting in a large amount of feedback from a wide range of users. This helps us shape the certification system and the validator tool, which aids quality and usability. To me, that makes a lot of business sense. This is why I think there should be as much certified address space available as possible. Otherwise this will stay a niche technology until perhaps a major event causes people to wake up (and hopefully take action). If certification has reached the necessary level of maturity at that point remains to be seen. Furthermore, preventing (future) malicious hijacking is not the *only* reason the Internet community needs better routing security, the accidental route leaking that happens every day is reason enough.

-Alex