help needed - state of california needs a benchmark

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jan 30 05:57:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Don Gould wrote:

> Ok, that's enough for now.  I hope this helps and let me know if you
> need any more assistance.

In Sweden, "Bredbandskollen.se" (translates to "Broadband check") rules
supreme. It uses two parallell TCP sessions to measure speed, and the
whole industry has agreed (mostly product managers were involved, little
attention was given to technical arguments) to set a minimum standard for
each service and let people cancel contracts or downgrade if they didn't
get that level.

For instance, an ADSL2+ connection sold as "up to 24 megabit/s" now let's
you cancel or downgrade if you don't get 12 megabit/s TCP throughput. For
100/10 service the lower limit is 40 megabit/s. There is a requirement for
the user to not use wireless and to put their computer directly into the
ethernet jack (ETTH) without the use of a NAT router, because these can
heavily affect service speed. It also features a guide to how to diagnose
why you're getting a lower than expected speed.

Customer complaints are down so generally this seems to increase customer
satisfaction. My biggest objection is that with a 100/10 service download
speeds can vary a lot depending what browser vendor and version one is
using, TCP settings of course also play a role.

The upside is that the sevice is extremely easy to use.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se