help needed - state of california needs a benchmark

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sat Jan 29 20:33:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:00:36AM -0800, Mike wrote:
> issue, how do we go about getting 'the message' across, how do we go
> about engineering something that could be considered statistically
> relevant, and most importantly, how do we get this to be accepted by
> non-technical legislators and regulators?

How about this analogy:

Using speedtest.com as the sole benchmark is like trying to test the
speed and throughput of the city streets in Sacramento by seeing how
long it takes to drive to New York City and back.  Oh, and why should
we be responsible for the speeds on the Interstate portions of that
route when we only control the city streets and local secondary roads?