help needed - state of california needs a benchmark

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Sat Jan 29 18:00:36 UTC 2011

Hello,

	My company is small clec / broadband provider serving rural communities
in northern California, and we are the recipient of a small grant from
the state thru our public utilities commission. We went out to 'middle
of nowhere' and deployed adsl2+ in fact (chalk one up for the good
guys!), and now that we're done, our state puc wants to gather
performance data to evaluate the result of our project and ensure we
delivered what we said we were going to. Bigger picture, our state is
actively attempting to map broadband availability and service levels
available and this data will factor into this overall picture, to be
used for future grant/loan programs and other support mechanisms, so
this really is going to touch every provider who serves end users in the
state.

	The rub is, that they want to legislate that web based 'speedtest.com'
is the ONLY and MOST AUTHORITATIVE metric that trumps all other
considerations and that the provider is %100 at fault and responsible
for making fraudulent claims if speedtest.com doesn't agree. No
discussion is allowed or permitted about sync rates, packet loss,
internet congestion, provider route diversity, end user computer
performance problems, far end congestion issues, far end server issues
or cpu loading, latency/rtt, or the like. They are going to decide that
the quality of any provider service, is solely and exclusively resting
on the numbers returned from 'speedtest.com' alone, period.

	All of you in this audience, I think, probably immediately understand
the various problems with such an assertion. Its one of these situations
where - to the uninitiated - it SEEMS LIKE this is the right way to do
this, and it SEEMS LIKE there's some validity to whats going on - but in
practice, we engineering types know it's a far different animal and
should not be used for real live benchmarking of any kind where there is
a demand for statistical validity.

	My feeling is that - if there is a need for the state to do
benchmarking, then it outta be using statistically significant
methodologies for same along the same lines as any other benchmark or
test done by other government agencies and national standards bodies
that are reproducible and dependable. The question is, as a hotbutton
issue, how do we go about getting 'the message' across, how do we go
about engineering something that could be considered statistically
relevant, and most importantly, how do we get this to be accepted by
non-technical legislators and regulators?

Mike-