Connectivity status for Egypt

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Jan 28 17:50:39 UTC 2011

Jim,

On Jan 28, 2011, at 12:43 PM, <JDuffy at nww.com> wrote:
>  And would you comply with it if it indeed became law?

For better or worse, companies will comply with lawful requests.  In the event of US Civil Unrest, I think it would be much harder than in other regimes to exert this type of control, and would cause a much broader global impact to economic activity.  The same would happen with any pan-european "blackout".

For the economic reasons alone, I rate the chances of "kill-switch" a zero.  It makes for great reporting about power, but the practicality is zero.

(this does not preclude the US Government from disconnecting *its* enterprise networks, as has happened with Bureau of Indian Affairs in the past, etc...)

- Jared Mauch