PPPOE vs DHCP - RIPE Database

Marco Hogewoning mch-nanog at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 28 11:01:01 UTC 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 8:03 PM, Peter Dambier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have not seen this in the discussion yet.
>
> http://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/ipv6-cpe-survey-updated-january-2011
>
> CPE support does not seem to be very broad yet.
> As far as I can see there is almost PPPoE only for IPv6 in Europe.

As long as there is an ADSL interface they usually support both, goes for major vendors as well as some smaller ones.

> In Germany cable is a mess by regulation. So no cable/dhcp.
>
> There used to be a DTAG monopoly with aDSL only and PPPoE only.
> Most ISPs still rely on the DTAG infrastructure. That is why
> very PPPoE biased.
>
> There is a high concentration of AVM in the CPE with Infineon
> chipsets in both DSLAM and DSL-Modem / Router

Part of the DTAG modems seem to be 7570 based and for what I have been told by German friends these can be flashed to the standard production releases. Not of much use for native, but you will get tunnel support in the box.

Marco