Connectivity status for Egypt

Jake Khuon khuon at neebu.net
Fri Jan 28 07:44:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 22:49 -0800, Roy wrote:
> On 1/27/2011 9:36 PM, Craig Labovitz wrote:
> >
> > And to add to this thread, an  graph of Egyptian Internet traffic across a large number of geographically / topologically diverse providers yesterday (Jan 27):
> >
> > http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5395027368_7d97b74c0b_b.jpg
> >
> > Traffic drops to a handful of megabits following the withdrawal of most Egyptian ISP BGP routes.
> >
> Moral of the story: Separate facts from assumptions and guesses.  I did
> some Google searches and that region has had large scale disruptions in
> the past.  Several cables follow the same path to the Suez canal and
> were hit.

I guess this begs the question of whether or not we're seeing actual
layer1 going down or just the effects of mass BGP withdrawals.  Are we
seeing lights out on fibre links or just peering sessions going down?
Both could still point to a coordinated intentional blackout by the
Egyptian gov't though.

--
/*=================[ Jake Khuon <khuon at NEEBU.Net> ]=================+
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | -------- |