Connectivity status for Egypt

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Jan 28 07:39:53 UTC 2011

On 1/27/11 10:49 PM, Roy wrote:
> On 1/27/2011 9:36 PM, Craig Labovitz wrote:
>>
>> And to add to this thread, an  graph of Egyptian Internet traffic
>> across a large number of geographically / topologically diverse
>> providers yesterday (Jan 27):
>>
>> http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5395027368_7d97b74c0b_b.jpg
>>
>> Traffic drops to a handful of megabits following the withdrawal of
>> most Egyptian ISP BGP routes.
>>
>> - Craig
>>

> I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind on the fact that the
> service is being interrupted somehow.  The question is why.

The BBC doesn't seem to have too much trouble coming to a conclusion as
to why.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12303564

internal communications are disrupted as are external commucations.

from renesys

http://www.renesys.com/blog/2011/01/egypt-leaves-the-internet.shtml

At 22:34 UTC (00:34am local time), Renesys observed the virtually
simultaneous withdrawal of all routes to Egyptian networks in the
Internet's global routing table. Approximately 3,500 individual BGP
routes were withdrawn, leaving no valid paths by which the rest of the
world could continue to exchange Internet traffic with Egypt's service
providers.

<snip>

> Moral of the story: Separate facts from assumptions and guesses.  I did
> some Google searches and that region has had large scale disruptions in
> the past.  Several cables follow the same path to the Suez canal and
> were hit.

my links through the region are all fine, but they don't jump off the
cable in egypt just pass through.