What's the current state of major access networks in North America ipv6 delivery status?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 28 06:41:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Antonio Querubin wrote:

> Bridged ethernet across the broadband provider network to the ISP
> router. Each customer gets a single /64 vlan to their residence.  If the
> customer now wants more than one subnet, the ISP must now route
> additional prefixes to a customer's gateway.  The customer can't just
> setup a router to break up the single /64 without the ISP carrying a
> route entry or the customer doing some kind of IPv6 NAT or proxy ND.
> If the ISP wont route additional prefixes, then the customer is forced
> to do the latter.

You do NOT want to keep state for all the devices in the customer
residence. Your ND table will be enormous.

We already have problems with ARP on our larger residential aggregation
routers, I don't even want to think about what it'd look like with 10+
devices in peoples homes in those /64:s, each perhaps using multiple IPs.
Your ND traffic will be enormous.

It's much cleaner to require a CPE at he customer prem, run LL only
between CPE and PE, DHCPv6-PD a /56 or larger, and now you're done with
it. No need to keep state for customer home devices, you just have to
handle the CPE.

Minimal TCAM usage, minimal state handling.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se