[arin-announce] ARIN Resource Certification Update

Osterweil, Eric eosterweil at verisign.com
Fri Jan 28 01:51:11 UTC 2011

Sorry to be Johnny-come-lately to this...

On 1/24/11 6:31 PM, "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>> Right, I've heard the circular dependency arguments.  So, are you
>> suggesting the RPKI isn't going to rely on DNS at all?
>
> correct.  it need not.

Maybe I am misunderstand something here...  Are (for example) the rsync
processes going to use hard coded IPs?  Are the SIAs and AIAs referenced by
IP?

>> I'm of the belief RPKI should NOT be on the critical path, but instead
>> focus on Internet number resource certification - are you suggesting
>> otherwise?
>
> <channeling steve kent>
> see the word 'certification'?  guess where that leads.  pki.  add
> resources and stir.

Sounds like a loose definition of pki.  Does DNSSEC count as such a loosely
defined pki? :-P

>>> if the latter, then you have the problem that the dns trust model is
>>> not congruent with the routing and address trust model.
>> That could be easily fixed with trivial tweaks and transitive trust/
>> delegation graphs that are, I suspect.
>
> not bloody likely.  the folk who sign dns zones are not even in the same
> building as the folk who deal with address space.  in large isps, not
> even in the same town.

Why does this stop the whole thing short?  I think the people who run any
as-yet-to-be-developed-and-deployed system don't sit in any building at
all... Yet, right? :)

Tbqh, I think I might be missing something important (so, please forgive my
ignorance), but I don't see how (for example) admins of the SMTP
infrastructure have trouble getting their MX records right in DNS zones...
How are getting certs in there so much worse?

Eric