Found: Who is responsible for no more IP addresses

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Jan 28 01:26:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 08:20:54PM -0500, Steven Bellovin wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2011, at 4:53 22PM, mikea wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:26:58PM -0800, Mark Keymer wrote:
> >> What I don't understand is I can only guess they must have a IT team.
> >> And Maybe even 1 or more people that view this list. Why don't they just
> >> talk to there own staff about the issues? Maybe one of the IT guess saw
> >> the issues talked about the articles and contacted the news team about
> >> the bad info. I donno. I agree they kind of did a poor job on this.
> >>
> >> If you work at FOX maybe you should help get the news guys on the right
> >> page. :)
> >
> > My experience working with newspaper and TV reporters leads me to believe
> > that they can't recognize when they're on the wrong page, and will
> > sacrifice accuracy to catchy titles and text "simplified" to the point
> > of being ludicrously wrong -- at least when it comes to topics such as
> > computers, networking, and spam. I certainly don't expect any better of
> > Fox.
> >

> Mmm... I've dealt with the press a lot. In general, the reporters from
> well-respected news organizations really are a lot better. One can
> argue cause and effect; the fact remains that when I've talked to the
> NY Times, the Wall Street Journal, NPR, and the Washington Post, I've
> been a lot happier with what appeared than when, say, I've spoken with
> (quite literally) Entertainment Weekly. No, the major outlets haven't
> been perfect, and I've occasionally spoken with reporters who, shall
> we say, didn't know which end the high-order bit was on; in general,
> though, my comments hold.
>
> Fox? Since I don't see that the Tea Party has any particular axe to
> grind here (the administration is neither pushing IPv6 on a reluctant
> private sector nor is it responsible for the forthcoming debacle),
> they're probably in the middle of the pack.

Mine was considerably less exalted: network TV stations and the local poor
excuse for a newspaper. The newspaper reporter tried, but just got it *so*
wrong. The TV folks didn't even try, and got it even wronger. I was being
interviewed on spam and botnets, which is a fairly arcane topic, and wasn't
surprised.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx