Found: Who is responsible for no more IP addresses

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Thu Jan 27 19:51:54 UTC 2011

[WES] Don't kid yourself, defending a "reputable news organization" for not
properly checking their facts on a technical story before publishing is
politically motivated too, especially when you try to imply that being willing
to call out inaccurate (technical) info in the news is somehow related to
one's political party.

The article that everyone is causing everyone to make fun of Fox news for says
nothing about Vint.
Fox news has posted two separate articles, both of which have been factually
incorrect.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/26/internet-run-ip-addresses-happens-anyones-guess/
and
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/07/26/world-run-internet-addresses-year-experts-predict/

They at least corrected the first one - "Editors' Note: An earlier version of
this story erroneously described an IP address as consisting of four digits,
rather than four sets of digits, and inaccurately described the IP address.
This story has been updated to reflect the correction."
But this gem still exists in the first article: "Web developers have
compensated for this problem by creating IPv6". At least there's *probably*
some web developers at IETF that might have had a hand in creating IPv6, so
that one's not technically incorrect...

The second one from several months ago is still borked:
"IPv4, ... the unique 32-digit number used to identify each computer, website
or internet-connected device. ... The solution to the problem is IPv6, which
uses a 128-digit address." So, first it was 32 digits, then it was 4 digits...

FWIW, Marketplace (on NPR) did a story the other night too. It wasn't
necessarily incorrect, but it was so dumbed down that they managed to talk
about IPv4 exhaustion without mentioning the words "IPv4" or "IPv6"
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/01/25/pm-internet-running-out-of-digital-addresses/

Wes George