Another v6 question

Max Pierson nmaxpierson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:20:01 UTC 2011

>I'm not missing your point. I'm saying that in IPv6, we've put enough
addresses
>in to allow for things nobody has thought of in 30, 60, 90, even 100 years
and
>then some.

As Roland said,
"Possibly, as long as we don't blow through them via exercises in profligacy
nobody has heretofore thought of, heh."

>If I knew, then, I'd be well on my way to much greater wealth. Whatever it
is, I am only
>certain of the following things about it:
>       1.      We have no idea what the requirements will be at this time.

I believe it was Donald Rumsfeld that said...
"But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't
know."

What if that unknown comes in the form of "mass address consumption"? But
from your view, that's not possible, so i'll just move on.

>      2.      We have no idea which particular scaling limit in IPv6 will
actually drive us to the next protocol.

I am aware that v6 still has some of the same issues that v4 has. Those have
been talked about for years. I'm sure you're aware of this as well...
http://www.apricot.net/apricot2007/presentation/apia-future-routing/apia-future-routing-vince-fuller.pdf

The v6 train has already left the station. Scale at some point will be an
issue, I'm just not entirely convinced it's v6 that will need revamping.

>I think you misunderstand me.

I understand you .... and all that you've stated. I just don't happen to
agree with some of it.

>Let's put it in perspective... If we give a /48 to every end site, then, we
have
>enough addresses for 281,474,976,710,656 end sites.

I get your point about sustainable growth. I even agree with it.

What you're referring to then is not