Another v6 question

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Jan 27 14:49:58 UTC 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 8:33 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I'd like to see IPv4 go away in ~3 years. Any faster would be too traumatic.
> I think 6 years is a perfectly reasonable time frame. I think if it takes 11 years
> it will be because of significant foot-dragging by some key organizations.
> I'm not convinced that foot-dragging is as likely as some people are, but,
> there's enough probability to provide some wiggle room in the numbers.

I expect that in ~3 years, we will see dual-stack and /64's handed out in conjunction with an IPv4 address as "common".

The ipv6 zealots talking about anything but a /64 for end-site are talking about a "business class" service.  Even with my static IPs at home, I have no need for more than a single /64 to be used in my wildest dreams.  I could live with ~256 ips for the future.  I consider my tech density "above-average".

- Jared