Ipv6 for the content provider

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Jan 27 13:43:53 UTC 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 2:53 AM, Antonio Querubin wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> It's actually pretty well known and it is documented in several places in plain
>> sight.
>
> Where?
>
> A search for IPV6_V6ONLY in the FreeBSD Handbook yields nothing.  You'd think the brokenness would at least be mentioned in the handbook.
>
> A similar search of the FreeBSD FAQ yields a bunch of hits but none that really mention the RFC brokenness.
>
> The only place where I've seen this behaviour mentioned in the past is in bug reports.  And the responses to those were that the non-compliant behaviour was preferred but would/should be more clearly documented. Years later, the documentation is still lacking.

The FreeBSD releng/core community has consistently done odd things that have caused them to lose favor in my mind, ranging from:

a) Lack of support of serial console other than com1 without rebuilding the kernel, boot blocks, etc.

b) soliciting feedback in -RC releases and not fixing defects in the -RELEASE, nor updating errata documents regarding defects they have refused to fix

c) Generally being arrogant and rude to the user community that may not want to manage a large set of systems by "make buildworld"

These are just a few of my unfavorite things regarding that community.  I have the things I like, but the things that I don't continue to outweigh and feed into regret of using their systems.  At least when I freebsd-update now, I don't need to edit german ISDN rate files anymore, but the fact that I had to in the first place is problematic to say the least.

- Jared