What's the current state of major access networks in North America ipv6 delivery status?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 26 22:02:38 UTC 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 1:52 PM, Charles N Wyble wrote:

> Is anyone tracking the major consumer/business class access networks
> delivery of ipv6 in North America?
>
> I'm on ATT DSL. It looks like they want to use 6rd? I've only briefly
> looked into 6rd. Is this a dead end path/giant hack?
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/ipv6implementors/2010/agenda/05_Chase_Googleconf-BroadbandtransitiontoIPv6using6rd.pdf?attredirects=0

It's a fairly ugly way to deliver IPv6, but, as transition technologies
go, it's the least dead-end of the options.

It at least provides essentially native dual stack environment. The
only difference is that your IPv6 access is via a tunnel. You'll probably
be limited to a /56 or less over 6rd, unfortunately, but, because of the
awful way 6rd consumes addresses, handing out /48s would be
utterly impractical. Free.fr stuck their customers with /60s, which is
hopefully a very temporary situation.

> I spoke with impulse.net last year, which appears to serve large
> portions of the AT&T cable plant in Southern California. They were
> willing to offer native ipv6. Not sure how (one /64, a /48) etc.

You should definitely push your providers to give you a /48 if
possible. If /56 or worse /60 or worst of all, /64 become widespread
trends, it may significantly impact, delay, or even prevent innovations
in the end-user networking/consumer electronics markets.

Owen