Ipv6 for the content provider

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 26 20:40:49 UTC 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 11:22 AM, George Bonser wrote:

>> And if your servers behind the LB aren't prepared for it, you lose a
>> LOT
>> of logging data, geolocation capabilities, and some other things if
> you
>> go that route.
>>
>> Owen
>
> Relying on IP address for geolocation is actually quite ridiculous
> though I do realize that many people seem to believe that you can map an
> IP address to the physical location of the originator of the data, at
> least to the country level, but I suppose some people will sell you
> anything.
>
> We haven't seen any problem with logging data so far in our testing.

I don't disagree, but, since people like Wells Fargo are using it as a
security check (ask me about my experiences trying to log in from
Rwanda to check on a mortgage payment some time), things that
potentially make it even more broken than it is are worth pointing
out to administrators that may be stuck implementing IPv6 on sites
that may have such dependencies.

Owen