Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Jan 26 06:52:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:49:13 +0700
Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
>
> > The correct assumption is that most people will try and usually succeed at follow the specifications, as that is what is required to
> > successfully participate in a protocol (any protocol, not just networking ones). IPv4 history has shown that most people will.
>
> Specification <> application, as in new applications.
>
> And, no, I don't think that 'most people will' - I've seen enough foolishness with regards to IPv4 misaddressing over the last quarter-century (pre- and post-CIDR) to share your optimism in that regard.

The Internet works most of the time doesn't it? I think that is
evidence that most people get it right most of the time, and that
misaddressing has minimal if any effect because it is ignored as
non-complaint with the Internet's protocols (both implementation
and operational ones). Usually the consequences of misaddressing are
limited to those who've performed it.

	Mark