Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jan 25 22:32:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:21:12 PST, Leo Bicknell said:

> If you were allocating individual /48's, perhaps.  But see, I'm a
> cable company, and I want a /48 per customer, and I have a couple
> of hundred thousand per pop, so I need  a /30 per pop.  Oh, and I
> have a few hundred pops, and I need to be able to aggreate regionally,
> so I need a /24.
>
> By my calculations I just used 16M /48's and I did it in about 60
> seconds to write a paragraph.  That's about 279,620 per second, so
> I'm well above your rate.

Fine.  You got ARIN or somebody to allocate your *first* /24 in under a minute.
Now how long will it take you to actually *deploy* that many destinations? And
where do you plan to get your customers for the next 4 or 5 /24's, and how long
will *those* deploys take?

Face it Leo, you can't *sustain* that growth rate.

> building in a lot of aggregation.  Remember the very first IPv6
> addressing proposals had a fully structured address space and only
> 4096 ISP's at the top of the chain!

How many Tier-1's are there now, even if you include all the wannabes?
And how long would it take at current growth rates of Tier-1 status to run
out the *other* 4,087 entries?